Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Why you should drink lemon water upon rising


The other day I was at a car shop, and the owner and I got in the conversation of drinking water.  I told him how much I believe that drinking water is one of the most important things we can do for our body since the average human body is estimated to be about 60 to 70 percent water.  I went on to say that I start my day with a tall glass of warm water with lemon and I love how I feel after I do so.  He loved this idea because he said he only drinks very cold water and finds himself only taking a few sips and not wanting the rest, resulting in not drinking enough for the day.  It's much easier to drink large amounts of water when it's room temperature or warm. 
Even though we sometimes think that everyone knows these simple things, most people aren't applying them in their life.  We all need gentle reminders to steer us in the right direction.  When you start the day off right, it's easier to make the best choices for yourself the rest of the day. 

Here are just a few of many benefits of water with lemon:

- Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium.  Vitamin C is great for fighting colds (we can all use that this winter) and potassium stimulates brain and nerve function and helps control blood pressure. 

- Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.  

- Gives you an alkaline start to your day by balancing your PH levels.  

- Skin healing!! (One of my favorite benefits) It combats free radicals while the Vitamin C and antioxidants fight wrinkles and blemishes.

- Mood energizer.  Lemon contains negative charged ions which gives your body energy when entering digestive tract.

- Promotes healing with its multiple anti-inflammatory properties. 

- Conditions and cleans the liver and helps purify the blood.

- Feeling super fresh afterwards.  

You want to use purified water and it should be warm, not super hot.  I squeeze a half of lemon in each glass, always using fresh lemon, organic if possible.  
I also wait at least a half hour to eat breakfast or drink my green smoothies in the AM. 
Sometimes for more benefits I sprinkle cayenne pepper in it with some stevia, or even some minced ginger.  You can experiment this way, I promise you this is magical =) 

Of course, this is a great way to start the day but make sure you stay hydrated through out the day. Always have purified water around you.  

Enjoy these amazing benefits!! Short term and especially long term.  

XoXo, 

Michaela



No comments:

Post a Comment